Friday, August 13, 2010

3 days!

Well, today I took my final for my Business in Asia class. It was an essay on what kind of business we would do in China, how we would do it, and what things we might have some troubles with. In the states there is usually a page limit, or a list of topics that need to be covered. Well, for my Chinese professor the rules were: sit and write for 2 hours. It is much much harder than you would think. I finished my thoughts (and 2 pages front and back) in about one hour, so the last half hour I just babbled about some things we learned in class and hoped for the best. I feel a little bit nervous because our final is worth 80% of our grade (wow) and this class will be counted towards my major GPA (call me a geek, I don't care). We find out in the end of August, so I will just have to wait and see.

So on Wednesday we did two things: listened to Samulnori (Korean traditional percussion quarter) and went to the Nanta performance. Samulnori was ok, we listened to the University Club play, and then were able to play the drums ourselves. It was neat to see the traditions that Korea brings to everything they do. We danced in a circle (much like a Native American pow wow), sang, and beat our drums. It was very early in the morning though.

In the afternoon we went to see the Nanta performance. It was awesome! The performance is a "non-verbal show of free rhythmical movements that dramatize customary Korean percussions in a strikingly comedic stage show". It has been the longest running show in Korea (10 years), was born here in Korea, and has even played on broadway. It is definitely worth your money to go see it. It felt very nice to let out some laughs, as most of the time I am feeling stress from class, transportation, and of course the drama! It is very similar to Stomp the Yard if you have seen that except it takes place in a Kitchen scene so cheese graters, knives, pots, pans, water bottles, and even brooms are used to set the tone and beat of the stage. The show was 1.5 hours long, but I wish it was double. I want to take my friends to see it when it comes back to the US.

Since today was the last day we had a closing ceremony and even received certificates of completion in pretty, velvet cases. Afterwards the school held a reception where we ate pork and kimchi, and get this one...a keg of beer. I couldn't believe the school was giving its students beer, that's Korea for you! Many people were crying, and lots of pictures were taken...people were sad, but I can't wait to get home.

Right now it is 12:30 am and the majority of the students in my program are out celebrating and saying goodbye to one another (most leave on Sunday). But, in a few minutes I will be tucking myself into bed because I am leaving tomorrow morning at 4:40 am!!!! Yep that is right, AM. Why you may ask...because 2 Korean friends and I have rented a car and are going to drive to the coast tomorrow! I am very excited to see other parts of Korea and not be on any type of schedule. We can go where we want, and see whatever we please. My camera is going to have a heartache tomorrow guaranteed. I had to warn my Korean friends that I am not the happiest camper in the morning, and that I might (more like will) be very crabby. Good friends are honest, right?

Well I'm going to go enjoy my now 4 hours of sleep, and I'll let you know how it goes. We might visit the city I was born in, Pohang City, so memories will definitely be made. Peace out.

CS

No comments:

Post a Comment