Monday, August 2, 2010

Proud. To. Be. An. American.

It's been a few days since I've written, and honestly it's because I've been so stressed. But now I'm ready to let my emotions fill this post with how I feel. There are some very ignorant people in my program (well of course, because there are those people everywhere) but these people are starting to say things about America and Americans specifically. They say things like: ALL Americans are stuck-up, superficial, b****es; and that all Europeans hate Americans. Some of the things that they say I am just in pure shock because I can't believe any human being would say things like that. But of course they always end the conversation in...but you're not really American, so I'm not saying bad things about you. For those of you who are simply reading this blog but have never seen me...I look Korean, well, because I was born in Korea. But just because you're born somewhere doesn't mean you are that. Being American is a way of life, it's a culture, it doesn't mean you look a certain way. They say that since I look different, I must not be American and even if I wanted to be I never could be.

Well, news flash people. I am more American than any "American-looking" person there is. I wish that these people weren't here to make my experience negative at times, but I guess it's just one of those things that we have to deal with. It's quite funny though because the two boys that are saying things are German and Canadian...but almost all of the people from Asian countries open up to Americans with open arms. My roommate even mentioned to me that most Koreans have the "American Dream" which means the opportunity to come visit or if they're lucky enough come live for awhile.

Ok enough with the negative Nancy...it's just important for me to point out that even though some of us are accepting of other cultures, there are still those people that want others to feel like crap. Now back to Korea...

Well Saturday night we decided to go to Seoul and visit a club. We went to "Water Club" and "Cocoon Club". Water club was pretty cool because the dancefloor is a very shallow pool of water (about up to my shin) and every 5 min or so water falls from above the dance floor. You definitely want to bring an extra pair of clothes if you're planning on staying there all night. Since I didn't want to get too wet, a few friends and I went to "Cocoon Club". It was a 3 story club that played very Western music, many of the songs I recognized. The club was very fun and filled with dancing, but since they didn't turn the air conditioning on it was very VERY hot. My legs were dripping with sweat, and a few times I had to go outside for some fresh air. All of those people with no air circulation: bad smelling air haha. Since the subway system doesn't start back up until 6 am, we had to stay out quite late (we ended up eating "breakfast" at 4:30 am). I ended up crawling into my bed at 9 am, and slept until 6 pm. That is the way of life for club-going Koreans on the weekends. It was an experience I'm glad to have had, but I don't think I will do it again because it has completely thrown my sleeping schedule off! Today I went to class, came back and slept from 11-4. But since I return home in 2 weeks, I guess I'll be all ready to conquer that jet lag.

Paper making is Wednesday, write more then....
Cara

1 comment:

  1. I know all the words to De Colores and I am proud to be an American!

    ReplyDelete