Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pohang City, the birthplace of Kang Sun Mee

So you're probably thinking....wow, whose this Kang Sun Mee person right? Sounds like a hot shot. Well, sorry to disappoint, but that was the name I was given at birth. It later changed to Cara when I moved to America 5 months later.

So today two Korean friends and I rented a car, a tiny one, and drove the 4 hours south to Pohang City. It was beautiful because it is a coast city. There was a huge seafood market (yuck) but it was quite the experience. Everything was fresh (and trying to escape from their tanks), and I even got squirted by a huge shrimp. I don't think that anybody can say they have had crab until they've had Korean King Crab. There are huge. I got the eebie jeebies because they look like glorified spiders, but I was sure to stay far far away from those tanks.

After shopping for a bit we bought some deep fried shrimp and dipped it in soy sauce. To my surprise, it wasn't horrible. I'm not sure the changes of it happening again, but it was one of those "When in Rome" moments that we all have. After hanging out in the market we drove about a half hour along the coast to Sokcho City. This is another coast city that had markets, but also a beautiful beach as well. If you've never been swimming in Korea, make sure to wear your full outfit. Shorts, t shirts, the whole works. Koreans are very modest when it comes to skin. It was really fun, and the water wasn't too cold either. It did start raining after about an hour, but it was good timing because we were due at another location anyways. We ate some ramen and were on our way to a beautiful look out spot with a coast of rocks. Of course I have Shimon blood, so I ventured out onto the rocks to get as close to the water as possible (a success of course). My friends thought I was crazy, but then joined me in the fun. They think that Americans are brave they said, but I just don't think they're used to my family :)

After bringing the car back (we left at 5:30 AM and got back at 9:30 pm) we were pretty exhausted. We took a bus back to campus and now that leads me to right now. Lots of people are leaving early in the morning, so it's packing season in the dorm. I think I might start as well, the early bird catches the worm right? Or I'm just procrastinating from doing my laundry (sorry mom).

Tomorrrow I'm going to my Korean friend's family gathering in Seoul, it is a memorial for her Grandma that they have every year. I'm really excited to see some tradition!
Write more later,

CS

No comments:

Post a Comment