Saturday, July 10, 2010

Coffee anyone?

I just got back from lunch, and had jay-um-poke-ugh. In a basic translation it was pork with onions and mushrooms in a spicy red sauce...and DELICIOUS. It is my favorite Korean dish so far besides Kalbee (but Kalbee is very expensive so I've only had it twice).

So for my meal which included water (remember that it's bottled here because we can't drink the water from the faucet) a big bowl of the pork mixture, rice, and five little side dishes it was 3,000 won (which comes out to be $2.50 US dollars). I was more than full and even had some leftovers. I can't believe how cheap meals are here. The food is cheap, but the clothes not so much. I did buy a pair of heels in Seoul for 15,000 won, but most shirts were above $60, way out of my college price range.

One very interesting thing here is that the majority of Korean men smoke cigarettes. I really didn't expect that coming here because I think that it's starting to die out in the states. Cigarettes here are around $2...pretty cheap compared to US so maybe that's why. They also drink coffee like it's going out of style. I'm going to dare to say that it's more than New Yorkers! A Korean told me that US consumes more volume of coffee, but Koreans have a larger person to coffee consumption ratio. Some people were even drinking coffee at 11:30 pm. Crazy if you ask me!

Well I am going to go knit. Things are pretty mellow today since alot of people were out until 7 am in the morning. Let me know how things in the states are!

CS

1 comment: