Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Korean Folk Village, Hyundai, and some "Good Coffee"

Today was a great day; a lifter upper from last night :)
We went to a traditional Korean Folk Village and saw the buildings and the life of Koreans 200 years ago. We got to play a traditional pebble game where you try and flick the opponent's pebbles off of the board, and even saw a traditional wedding ceremony. There was lots of bowing, and of course beautiful clothing wear (very colorful, and multiple pieces).

After the Folk Village we went and visited the Hyundai plant in Asan, South Korea. I was super excited to go because I'm pondering being an operations management major, and possibly working as a manager in a factory myself. I couldn't believe how many robots there were. The only other plant that I've visited was Bush's baked beans, and although it was automated, there weren't actual robots running the show. We saw the car being made from the panels at the press shop, to the assembly line (which only took 51 seconds to assembly one whole car) to putting the engine in and putting the final touches on. We were there around 3:15 pm and the plant had already completed 366 cars. It was pretty impressive. I also didn't know that the largest car factory in the entire world is located in Korea, in Ulsan (where 2 of my Korean friends are from!). Korea sure has made a name for itself.

It was very exciting, but a very tiring day as well. Many of us took a nap on the 2 hour bus ride home. We went out to dinner, went to "Good Coffee" (coffee shop by our university) and sat for awhile and chatted. Koreans love coffee, like I said before a very large consumer. It is so nice to just sit down and talk with friends. I feel like when I'm in Eau Claire I never take the time to just sit and talk with friends. There's always a schedule, something I'm coming from, and always somewhere I have to be in 15 min. If I bring something back with me, it's going to be to slow life down a little bit and enjoy the small moments because they keep ya goin.
And oh yeah, Good Coffee also has wifi!!! I am enjoying my games on my iTouch once again, and one happy lady. :)

Tomorrow we have class again, so I better get to my homework.

CS

No comments:

Post a Comment