Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Whole New World

I borrowed this saying from Aladdin and Jasmine, because it is oh so true here in Korea. The menu for our competition: pancakes with kimchee (fermented cabbage) and onions...and another pancake with squid tentacles and green onion. Pretty interesting huh? Typically they're dipped into a red hot sauce or light brown sauce similar to soy sauce. We didn't win the competition, but it was very fun to make nonetheless.

On Saturday we went to "Lotte World". We were going to go to Everland, but the weather downpoured all day Friday and Saturday. It is funny how they try to westernize many things here in Korea...their Lotte World symbol is a big castle. It was a little too familiar to DisneyLand's castle :) But Lotte World is known as the largest indoor amusement park (that's what Guinness says). KOreans really know how to condense many things into a small area. When I first walked in I figured after 2 hours we'd be done, but we were there for 10 and I still didn't go on 2 of the rides.

There was a few very fast roller coasters, and if I may so say, were better than Six Flags! I was in a group with 2 other Koreans and one of our professors from Canada, so it was really fun to go on rides together (like water ones) because we would almost always see who would get the most wet (and then splash the driest person).

One of the Koreans had a normal amusement park snack: Peanut Butter Roasted Squid. I tried one just to say I did, but my hate for seafood was not changed.

Today I have my quiz in my Korean class, the quiz that's worth 25% of my grade. I'm a little nervous about that. My Korean roommate told me that if she had a quiz she'd study all day and probably the day before as well. They study here all of the time. But in all fairness, they don't have jobs (students my age that is). Their parents pay for everything and give them allowances so that they can concentrate more on studying and then getting a good job.

Well I'm off to study now, see ya later!

CS

No comments:

Post a Comment